Welcome to my collection of 1:12 scale miniature food made with love (and polymer clay) - for dollhouses or admirers of all-things-mini.

In life, it's the small things around you that matter the most. Embrace, enjoy, and savor every second with all your might.

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Creating 1/12 Scale Cake Stands!

Easing myself back into the polymer clay sculpting pond is a lot like an Olympian swimmer having to tiptoe into the shallow end of a swimming pool. I'll get there, but it will take some time. Last fall, I spotted some lovely earrings in a local consignment shop. I'm always on the lookout for anything that might enhance my miniature food displays, so I bought the earrings for a kewl buck and some change. And put them away.....

I would have soooo worn these about 30 years ago. :)




















Cake stands, interesting, unique, and fancy ones like the ones I have admired on so many of your fabulous miniature food blogs, have been hard to come by. By chance, I found a neat glass cake stand in Pittsburgh last summer at Lynlott Miniatures that was large enough to hold a fully frosted miniature cake with room to spare under the cover. And then I found glass stands with covers online. These two are smaller, but they will totally rock a frosted cupcake or two - or maybe some gourmet mini-cheeses and crackers?

Glass stands with covers are my faves!
Now here's where those earrings came in handy. They were the perfect size for 1/12 scale cake stands! Easy to make...and inexpensive! I simply separated each 1 inch filigree circle with a jeweler's needle nose tool. And then glued each circle to one of the jewelry findings that I purchased at our local Michael's Crafts...sprayed them with a little spray paint...and voila! Colorful, fanciful cake stands in 1/12 scale!

These two are unpainted, for an "antique" look.

I love color!










Can't wait to top these with mini cakes.

I even had enough to make a two tiered stand for super tiny desserts and petite cookies. Every miniature scene needs a different style. Fancy, for some dollhouse kitchens and dining rooms....












And more rustic for other scenes and dollhouse settings. Last year I made a few super simple cake stands from miniature wooden bowls (that I bought in a package of about a dozen different sizes at Michael's) and miniature wooden disks (also at Michael's, in the wood craft section).

A little glue, a little spray paint...and...all done!




My next challenge - figuring out how to make the perfect 1/12 scale doilies to go with these cute little cake stands. 

10 comments:

  1. Hello...I came across your blog when I was looking up information for Lynlott Miniature store in Pittsburgh. I want to go there in March because I have recently become enamored with my almost 20 yr old dollhouse I built those many years ago. I have a blog but it wasn't on mini's as much as it was about cottage decorating, antiquing, gardening, etc. I am a follower of your blog now. I am off to read some of your past posts! ~Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting and welcome to my blog Patti. Lynlott's is a great place to browse and get ideas, and actually hold some of the mini pieces in your hand for inspiration. :) The store owner is really nice too. We talked about minis and dollhouses for quite a while. And if you're going to be in the area in March there is also a Three Blind Mice miniature show in Pittsburgh on March 16 and 17. http://3blindmiceshow.com/pittsburgh/ I've never been to one of these but I bet it would be fun.
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jackie, first let me thank you for your kind words on my cake stands .... It's a good thing I put the cakes on them, so you couldn't see the imperfections, lol. As you know yourself from your own experience, it's not easy to make them with clay, especially the round tops, which are supposed to be flat, but after backing, it's a strange thing, but they're not flat anymore. Anyway, your cake stands are wonderful, it's a great idea to make them with these filigree metal findings. Great job, thank you for sharing. hugs, Dany

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh yes! What IS it about the polymer clay that throws off the flatness when you bake it? Very frustrating! I've had the same thing happen to me. When you bake it do you leave it in the silicone mold to bake? I'll check with my polymer clay "guru" at the Polymer Clay Express store the next time I stop by there. She might have some words of wisdom to share? :)
    Hugs,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This type of cake stand are really rare. I'm glad to see your creation !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Martin for stopping by! :)

      Many mini hugs,
      Jackie

      Delete